Currently, my work mainly involves the following areas:
(1) Stereotype communication and consensualisation: I am interested in the ways stereotypes influence how people communicate their impressions of members of out-groups and how these communication patterns in turn influence the formation and maintenance of shared stereotypes.
(2) Collective memory and perceptions of History: I am interested in the ways representations of the historical past of one's group affect the emotions associated with one's group membership and how these in turn shape social identity. More generally, I am interested in the cognitive processes and biases (such as the hindsight bias) that shape ordinary people's representation of history.
(3) Food and decision making: How people decide on the quantity of food to consume and its impact on obesity.
(4) Sexual objectification: How does the portrayal of women as sexual objects affects the way they are perceived? I am especially interested in the process known as "mechanistic dehumanization", which involves denying attributes that are shared by all human beings (e.g., such as intelligence, a sense of self, etc.) in opposition to objects. I am also interested in the influence of this process on sexual aggressions.
- Azzi, A. E., & Klein, O. (2002). Psychologie sociale et relations Intergroupes. Dunod.
- Bernard, Ph., Gervais, S. J., Allen, J., Campomizzi, S., & Klein, O. (2011). Integrating sexual objectification with object versus person recognition: The sexualized-body-inversion hypothesis. Psychological Science, 23, 469-471.
- Corneille, O., Klein, O., Lambert, S., & Judd, C. M. (2002). On the role of familiarity with units of measurement in categorical accentuation: Tajfel and Wilkes (1963) revisited and replicated. Psychological Science, 13(4), 380-383.
- Klein, O., & Azzi, A. E. (2001). Procedural justice in majority-minority relations: Studies involving Belgian linguistic groups. Social Justice Research, 14, 25-44.
- Klein, O., & Azzi, A. E. (2001). The strategic confirmation of meta-stereotypes: How group members attempt to tailor an out-group's representation of themselves. British Journal of Social Psychology, 40, 279-293.
- Klein, O., Clark, A. E., & Lyons, A. (2010). When the social becomes personal: Exploring the role of common ground in stereotype communication. Social cognition, 28, 329-352.
- Klein, O., Doyen, S., Leys, C., Gama, P. A. M. de S. da, Miller, S., Questienne, L., & Cleeremans, A. (2012). Low Hopes, High Expectations Expectancy Effects and the Replicability of Behavioral Experiments. Perspectives on Psychological Science, 7(6), 572–584. doi:10.1177/1745691612463704
- Klein, O., Jacobs, A., Gemoets, S., Licata, L., & Lambert, S. (2003). Hidden profiles and the consensualization of social stereotypes: How information distribution affects stereotype content and sharedness. European Journal of Social Psychology, 33, 755-778.
- Klein, O., & Licata, L. (2003). When group representations serve social change: The speeches of Patrice Lumumba during the Congolese decolonization. British Journal of Social Psychology, 42, 571-594.
- Klein, O., Licata, L., Azzi, A. E., & Durala, I. (2003). "How European am I?" Prejudice expression and the presentation of social identity. Self & Identity, 2, 251-264.
- Klein, O., Licata, L., & Pierucci, S. (2011). Does group identification facilitate or prevent collective guilt about past misdeeds? Resolving the paradox. British Journal of Social Psychology, 50, 563-572.
- Klein, O., Snyder, M., & Livingston, R. W. (2004). Prejudice on the stage: Self-monitoring and the expression of group attitudes. British Journal of Social Psychology.
- Klein, O., Spears, R., & Reicher, S. D. (2007). Social identity performance: Extending the strategic side of SIDE. Personality and Social Psychology Review, 11, 28-45.
- Marchiori, D., Waroquier, L., & Klein, O. (2011). Smaller food item sizes of snack foods influence reduced portions and caloric intake in young adults. Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 111, 727-731.
- Waroquier, L., Marchiori, D., Klein, O., & Cleeremans, A. (2010). Is it better to think unconsciously or to trust your first impression? A reassessment of Unconscious Thought Theory. Social Psychological and Personality Science, 1(2), 111-118.
- Kashima, Y., Klein, O., & Clark, A. (2007). Grounding: Sharing information in social interaction. In K. Fiedler (Ed.), Social communication (pp. 27-78). Philadelphia, PA: Psychology Press.
- Klein, O., & Snyder, M. (2003). Stereotypes and behavioral confirmation: From interpersonal to intergroup perspectives. In M. P. Zanna (Ed.), Advances in Experimental Social Psychology (Vol. 35). New York: Academic Press.
- Klein, O., Tindale, S., & Brauer, M. (2008). The consensualization of social stereotypes. In K. Fiedler & F. Freytag (Eds.), Stereotype Dynamics (pp. 263-292). Manwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
Unité de Psychologie Sociale CP 122
Université Libre de Bruxelles
50 av. F. Roosevelt
- Phone: +32 (2) 6503238
- Fax: +32 (2) 6504045